- MMJ for Tucson Event on August 30th August 26, 2014
- Painkiller Deaths Drop by 25% in Medical Marijuana States August 26, 2014
- 420careers.com Featured in High Times Magazine’s Latest Issue August 25, 2014
Seniors are often reluctant to try marijuana for medical purposes. But new scientific evidence is quickly revealing that marijuana has many health benefits, and little to no downside. This list helps to break down negative perceptions and false information about marijuana.
1. Marijuana is safer than most prescription medications. Prescription drugs are a common daily occurrence in the lives of most senior citizens. And lot of the medications carry with them some truly terrible side effects, while marijuana has been shown to have very few and mild side effects.
2. Marijuana is not an addictive substance. A common misconception about marijuana among seniors is that once they begin using marijuana they won’t be able to quit. In reality, people can stop using marijuana from one day to the next and the effects would be similar to that of someone quitting drinking coffee.
3. Marijuana can reduce and even replace many prescription medications. A lot of seniors complain that the first pill they take every day causes side effects like drowsiness or nausea. While this pill might be imperative to their health they are then told to take an additional pill to combat the first pill’s side effects. Marijuana can help relieve symptoms of nausea and drowsiness.
4. There are many different types (strains) of marijuana. If one particular strain doesn’t suit someone’s needs, then there is another one that should do the trick.
5. There are marijuana strains that don’t get you “high.” A lot of seniors like the idea of the medicinal properties of marijuana, but not the actual “high” caused by. In circumstances like these, there are dominant strains which alleviate inflammation, acute pain, and even seizures without producing the “high.”
6. You don’t have to smoke marijuana to use it. A lot of seniors think that smoking marijuana is there only option, when in reality there are many ways to consume marijuana: from vaporizing to eatingto applying lotions. There are multiple options.
7. Marijuana infused creams can drastically improve pain associated with arthritis. Creams that you can apply directly to the skin have been shown to help with sore joints and muscle pain.
8. Marijuana does not lower your IQ. There is no evidence or documentation that shows marijuana lowers your intelligence or kills brain cells. There are even studies showing that using marijuana improves brain function. Recent scientific studies reveal that marijuana helps fight against Alzheimer’s disease.
9. Marijuana increases your appetite. When ill, senior citizens don’t have much of an appetite and in turn lose a lot of weight. Marijuana has been shown to get rid of the nausea that causes this loss of appetite. And on the opposite end of the spectrum, studies have shown that people who smoke marijuana every week are more likely to lose weight because of the metabolic boost it provides.
10. There are fewer stigmas attached to marijuana use than there once was. Senior citizens are now the fastest growing demographic of medical marijuana users in the US. The main reason is because marijuana is a truly amazing medicine.