The political action committe, Safer Arizona, will be holding a rally and signature drive at the Arizona State Capitol building in downtown Phoenix on January 8 at 9am to gain support for their 2018 initiative to legalize marijuana in Arizona.
January 8 is the first day of Arizona’s 2018 legislative session.
Safer Arizona’s initiative, the Safer Arizona Cannabis Legalization Act, is, in general, attempting to completely legalize the cultivation, use and sale of cannabis (includes marijuana and industrial hemp).
According to Safer Arizona’s website, the initiative will:
- Makes cannabis legal to use, grow, and sell
- Allows adults to use cannabis freely, the way you can use other legal substances
- Prohibits discrimination against drivers, parents, gun owners, or others solely based on their use of cannabis
- Allows people who are convicted of a cannabis crime to request to be re-sentenced under the new law
- Allows people who have already served their sentence to request to have the crime expunged from their record
- Requires mandatory testing and labeling for commercial sales
- Sets up restrictions and fines for selling to people under 21