As marijuana use increases across the United States (and world), many people are asking: How long does marijuana stay in my body?
The short answer: 1 to 30 days, depending on frequency of use and type of drug test used, according to Dan Kingston, an editor at AZmarijuana.com. Below are the common ways of testing for marijuana in the body. Each offers a different degree of testing for marijuana metabolites in humans.
Marijuana is typically detectable in blood for up to a few days, but sometimes less. For chronic users that could extend to 2 – 4 weeks.
Marijuana can be detectable in pee for these durations after use:
- Infrequent users (1-3 times a week): 3 – 5 days
- Modest users (4+ times a week): 5 to 10 days
- Chronic users (daily): 10 to 20 days
- Heavy chronic users (numerous times per day): 30+ days
Drug testing via hair can usually detect drugs for up to 90 days. Blood transports marijuana metabolites into hair follicles where it then gets into the hair.
Marijuana, whether inhaled or consumed, is typically detectable in saliva for these durations after use:
- Infrequent users: 1 day (or less)
- Modest users: 1 to 5 days
- Chronic users: 1 to 30 days