This recipe takes a while to make but is worth it. The portion size is huge so you can either make the marijuana lasagna using half the portions, or enjoy awesome left overs for days after you make the meal.
• 1 pound sweet Italian sausage
• 2 tablespoons white sugar
• 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
• 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
• 1 tablespoon salt
• 3/4 pound lean ground beef
• 1/2 cup minced onion
• 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
• 2 cloves garlic, crushed
• 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
• 6 ounces tomato paste
• 6.5 ounces canned tomato sauce
• 1/2 cup water
• 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
• 12 lasagna noodles
• 16 ounces ricotta cheese
• 1 egg
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 3/4 pound mozzarella cheese, sliced
• 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Cook the sausage, ground beef, onion, and garlic over medium heat until browned. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and water. Season with sugar, basil, fennel seeds, Italian seasoning, 1 tablespoon salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons parsley. Simmer, covered, for about 90 min stirring occasionally.
2. Bring water to a boil in a large pot. Add a little salt. Cook lasagna noodles in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes. Drain noodles, and rinse with cold water. In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese with egg, remaining parsley, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
3. Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
4. Assemble the lasagna:
a. Spread 1 1/2 cups of meat sauce in the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking dish.
b. Arrange 6 noodles lengthwise over meat sauce.
c. Spread with one half of the ricotta cheese mixture.
d. Top with a third of mozzarella cheese slices.
e. Spoon 1 1/2 cups meat sauce over mozzarella, and sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
f. Repeat layers, and top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
g. Cover with foil making sure the foil does not touch the cheese.
5. Bake in oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil, and bake an additional 25-30 minutes or until the top of the lasagna is nicely toasted. Cool for 15 minutes before serving.